Homemade Pot Pie
~ Recipe: Teri Jensen – Terics Treasures
This is one of my favorite meals. I like to make several and freeze uncooked pies to keep on hand for a fast meal when needed. For a variation, I pour the pot pie mixture into a dish and cover with biscuit dough. Bake until biscuit dough is golden brown.
1/3 cup butter or margarine
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 3/4 cups turkey or chicken broth
2/3 cup milk
2 1/2 to 3 cups cooked turkey or chicken, cut up
Any combination of peas, corn, diced carrots, and/or diced potatoes.
Pastry for 9-inch Two-crust pie
- Heat butter or margarine in 2-quart saucepan over low heat until melted.
- Stir in flour, onion, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is bubbly.
- Remove from heat. Stir in broth and milk and heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Stir in turkey (or chicken) and vegetables. I don’t really measure the vegetables. I just put in amount that seems good.
5. Pastry: Roll out enough for bottom crust and place in ungreased 9-inch pie plate or 9x9x2 inch square pan. Pour in pot pie mixture and cover with top pastry crust.
6. Bake in 425 degree oven until golden brown, about 35 minutes.
Enjoy with a fresh salad or sides of your choice!
Photo Credit – flicker.com