Sweet and Sour Eggplant with Capsicum ( Red Bell Pepper)
~ Recipe: Jenny Lovell
This recipe is versatile and can be enjoyed in any setting!
500 grams (or just a wee bit over a pound) eggplant,
and cubed red capsicum ( red bell pepper )
3 tbsp soy sauce
tbsp rice vinegar
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 clove garlic, crushed
2 tsp cornflour (cornstarch)
2-3 tbsp sesame oil (Optional – I use coconut oil)
Pineapple pieces, sliced into chunks
(optional) sesame seeds
2 cups cooked rice.
- Sprinkle the eggplant with salt and let stand for 15 – 20 minutes (this causes the eggplants to sweat taking out moisture). Moisture will appear on the surface of the eggplant after about 15 – 20 minutes.
2. Rinse salt from the eggplant and pat dry.
3. Cut the capsicum (bell pepper) into medium chunks
4. In a small bowl, mix together thoroughly, soy sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar, garlic and cornflour (cornstarch). Put aside.
5. Heat a non stick frypan or wok over medium high heat till hot, then add oil. Add eggplant cubes and sauté till browned , 3-5 minutes. Put aside.
6. Add the red capsicum (bell pepper) to the frypan or wok and continue to sauté for 2-4 minutes until the capsicum (bell pepper) chunks are tender.
7. Add eggplant back into frypan or wok and mix with capsicum (bell pepper).
8. Reduce heat to medium. Pour the reserved sauce over the top of the eggplant and capsicum (bell pepper). Stir the sauce with the vegetables until evenly coated. Continue to stir until the sauce thickens, add the pineapple chunks and stir through or you can add pineapple chunks fresh as well.
9. Serve over hot rice, Sprinkle sesame seeds over the top of the eggplant and capsicum mixture & serve.